How to apply
Before you begin
To qualify for consideration, you must have completed
- At least 16 years of education. For specifics, see “Application Qualifications” in the Hitotsubashi ICS MBA Application Package
- A bachelor’s degree with sound academic record
- Full-time post-graduate work experience of 3 years or longer (may include the time period up to MBA program entrance in September)
Key admissions criteria include:
- An employment history, essays and personal references that reflect clear purpose, high motivation, and well-developed interpersonal skills
- General aptitude for business studies demonstrated by the GMAT or GRE score
- Strong command of English shown by the TOEFL or IELTS score
There are two application rounds for the Entering Class of 2020. Please note the following:
- Applicants may apply for either the One-Year program (excluding YLP) or the Two-Year program. Once accepted to one program, it is not possible to switch to the other program.
- Applicants are encouraged to submit applications as early as possible.
- Scholarship decisions for candidates are made only after a candidate has been admitted. Since scholarships are limited in number, applying in the first round confers an advantage with respect to scholarships.
|Round 1||Application period: August 1, 2019 - October 18, 2019|
Interview: November 22, 2019
Final decision: December 5, 2019
|Round 2||Application period: December 6, 2019 - January 16, 2020|
Interview: February 21, 2020
Final decision: March 5, 2020
Applications must be submitted via the Hitotsubashi ICS Online Application System. Application is officially received only when the applicant presses the “submit” button on the system by 23:59 JST of the deadlines shown above.
APPLICATION PROCESS for each application round
|STEP 1||Application||Online only, with payment of application fee of JPY 30,000 during application period.|
We will not review applications received via post or email.
|STEP 2||Interview||If selected in the round’s initial screening|
Applicants in Japan: At Hitotsubashi ICS, Chiyoda, Tokyo
Applicants outside Japan: By phone or videoconference
|STEP 3||Decision||2-3 weeks after interviews|
By email and post
|STEP 4||Enrolment||Pay your matriculation fee to be officially enrolled|
COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION
- See the Hitotsubashi ICS Full-time MBA Application Package 2020-2021 for more detailed information.
- Submit all application documents in English. If your original documents or certificates are written in other languages, please attach a certified English translation.
- We will consider only complete applications. If your applications is incomplete upon the application deadline, it will not be considered.
- If you plan to apply for a Young Leaders’ Program scholarship: Please note that the application details (application deadline, etc.) differ from the standard application process and requirements here.
|Application Form A||Your personal details|
|Degree certificates and official transcript||Submit for all, including any earned master’s and doctoral degrees. Must be issued by the registrar of the university or college|
|Application Form B||Essays|
|Official GMAT or GRE score report||Scores must be no more than 5 years old.|
|Official TOEFL or IELTS score report||Scores must be no more than 2 years old. If English is the applicant’s native language, or if the applicant earned a Bachelor’s or higher degree from a program conducted entirely in English, s/he is not required to submit a TOEFL/IELTS score.
Submit Test Taker’s copy via the online application system, AND have ETS/IELTS test centre send official scores directly to:
TOEFL: University Code No.: 8682
IELTS: Department: ICS Admissions Office
University: Hitotsubashi University
Address: National Center of Sciences, 2-1-2 Hitotsubashi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 101-8439, Japan
|Proof of paid application fee||A non-refundable application fee of JPY 30,000 is due during the application period, via credit card or bank transfer. We strongly recommend paying by credit card, but if a bank transfer is necessary, please see below.|
|Application Form C||Two Letters of Reference. At least one, and preferably both, letters should come from supervisors within your current company. Our admissions office will send forms to recommenders immediately after your online registration is complete.|
|Copy of passport||A photocopy of the details page(s) of your passport, indicating applicant’s name, photo, passport number, date of birth, and dates of issuance/expiry.|
|For company-sponsored applicants||An official letter from your employer stating that the employer will sponsor you. (In Japanese, Haken Shodakusho)|
To pay your application fee by bank transfer
|Application fee:||JPY 30,000|
- Transfer the application fee under the APPLICANT name, and no other name.
- BEFORE the applicant name, indicate “R1” for Round 1 and “R2” for Round 2.
- See also the Hitotsubashi ICS Full-time MBA Application Package 2020-2021, page 10 “Payment by bank transfer.”
|Bank and branch||Sumitomo-Mitsui Bank, Kunitachi Branch|
|Branch address||1-8-45 Naka, Kunitachi-shi, Tokyo 186-0004 Japan|
|Account holder||Hitotsubashi University|
|Account holder address||2-1 Naka, Kunitachi-shi, Tokyo 186-8601 Japan|
|Account holder phone||+81[Japan's country code]-42-580-8078|
Applicants with disabilities or special needs who require accommodation in the application process and/or once they start their program at Hitotsubashi ICS should notify the Htotsubashi ICS Admissions Office by email to email@example.com two months prior to the starting date of application period. (If you do not know the application period, please contact us as well. Although the Hitotsubashi ICS Admissions Office will accept accommodation requests after this date, we may not be able to make necessary arrangements in time for the screening and/or the program starting date.) Requesting accommodation for the application process does not obligate you to apply to Hitotsubashi ICS. If you are undecided about whether to apply to Hitotsubashi ICS, you can still make such requests.
Note: Depending on the types of accommodation you request, it may take sometimes for the Hitotsubashi ICS Admissions Office may need time to respond.